Hard to believe today is the day we leave for South Africa. We started planning the trip over two years ago. The itinerary and people we are traveling with has changed several times in the last two years, but now both have been finalized. While Randy and Charlotte will take a different route than Troy and I will, if all goes well we will all end up in Cape Town 5 minutes apart from each other.
After 26 hours of flying, our adventures include:
- 5 days and 6 nights in Cape Town where we are planning to visit 18 wineries and hopefully some of the town.
- We will then drive the Garden Route to Knysna, stopping by 2 wineries, Betty's Bay to see the penguins and Cape Agulhas to see the official dividing point between the Atlantic and Indian Oceans. While in Knysna we have an Elephant ride scheduled.
- Next stop is Addo Elephant park north of Port Elizabeth. In addition to Elephants the park is also home to Cape Buffalo, Lion, Black Rhino, various species of Antelope and Warthogs.
- After Addo we head northeast to the ISimangaliso Wetland Park, South Africa's first World Heritage Site. While here we hope to see elephants, leopards, black and white rhino, and buffalo. In the ocean are whales, dolphins, an marine turtles. The park is also home to crocodiles and hippos.
- After spending time in the bush, we will head to Jo'burg for a day before flying to Victoria Falls where we will stay for 2 days and nights.
- After Victoria Falls, it is back to Jo'burg for a day before heading back home.
I hope to have WiFi in most places and will track our progress daily.